4/19/2008

Five with Adam Deutsch

Our next guest in the "Five with..." interview series is none other than Adam Deutsch of Ninth Letter, man-about-the-festival here at Pilcrow HQ, two-time Fixx Reading Series veteran, and author of North Park Gallery Series at Big Game Books.

1. What are you working on now?

At the moment, a 1959 Vespa 125. I got it in pieces and have had to put the engine back together. It's coming along. Once the new kick-start with the right splines comes in, I think it'll start right up.

Did you mean writing? I've spit-shined a manuscript of poems for the MFA, will see how it holds up to getting sent out in the fall once I settle into a new job.

A chapbook JUST came out from
Big Game Books.

2. What is your favorite part of literary festivals and why?

Traditionally, moving a bunch of Ninth Letters, then getting drinks. You mean when I'm there to talk about writing, right? It's fun to hear about all the details everyone else is goofing with in their own writing; more stuff to play with when the fest is done, and I'm back in my studio apartment writing alone.

3. Who are your favorite small press mover/shaker types at the minute?

Jill Alexander Essbaum (winner of the Micropress Pageant) scooped me, but I'm a total sucker for Bloof Books. I really dig everything they've put out so far, and it's nice to have confidence in an aesthetic like that.

I don't know who else. I don't know if I really know what's "small" any more. Is BOA Editions small? They're dope. And Milkweed's kicking major ass lately.

4. Which author do you wish was coming to Pilcrow Lit Fest this year who is not?

Other than all the dead people I'm thinking of, I'd like to see Brian Lumley. I read the Necroscope Series when I was a kid, and really enjoyed the hell out of them. Maybe also Nick Flynn. And definitely Srikanth Reddy. Can I have 3 wishes?

5. If you were in charge of picking a theme song from Pilcrow Lit Fest this year, what would it be?

"Left Side" of Kid Koala's You're Mom's Favorite DJ. Sometimes, there are reasons I'm not in change of stuff.

No comments: